The shad spawn and the bass spawn produced plenty of action for the pros in the top 10 at Clear Lake, who relied on a mix of California staples and some other power and finesse baits to make the cut in the Costa FLW Series Western Division event presented by Evinrude. Here's what they used.
3. Joe Uribe Jr., who placed third, spent most of his time fishing a 3/8-ounce gold Blade Runner Spintrix Underspin fitted with a Keitech 4.8 Swing Impact FAT trailer and a wacky-rigged Daiwa Yamamoto Neko Fat worm.
4. Targeting docks, tules and various shoreline structure, Richard Dobyns caught all of his fish on a drop-shot with a Roboworm in margarita mutilator.
6. Scott Mackenzie earned a sixth-place finish by fishing a 1/2-ounce under-spin with a Keitech 3.8 Swing Impact FAT trailer.
7. Vince Hurtado spent his mornings throwing a Lucky Craft LV 500 lipless crankbait, a spinnerbait and a boot-tail swimbait for prespawn and postspawn fish, but when his bite stalled on day three, he turned to flipping a Strike King Rodent.
9. Spending most of his time offshore, Paul Bailey’s main bait was a Gan Craft Rest 108 jerkbait in the blueback herring color, but he also caught keepers on an under-spin.