After three days of fishing on Witbank Dam, Justy Varkevisser and Reed Eastman of Team Beli VC took home the 2020 FLW South Africa Championship title with a total weight of 19.56kg (43.12 pounds). Taking place Nov. 19-21, Eastman and Varkevisser won over $1,300 for their efforts.
Reports from the event say that Eastman and Varkevisser spent their time on the upper end of the lake fishing shallow with spinnerbaits. They caught just under 15 pounds on day one, backed it up with 11 pounds on day two and had their best day on day three with over 16 pounds. The duo came in sixth in last year’s championship, so their consistency this year was the ticket to get them atop the leaderboard this time around.
While there were no megabags caught this time around, JP Maritz caught the big bass of the event tipping the scale at over 10 pounds.
Though the winning team usually advances to the Toyota Series Championship in the same year, that won’t be the case in 2020. As of now next year’s championship is slated for August 6-8, 2021 on Albert Falls and the winners of that will hopefully get a bid to the 2021 Toyota Series Championship.
Top 10 teams
1. Team Beli VC – Justy Varkevisser and Reed Eastman – 19.56kg (15)
2. Team New Anchor – Calman Grobler and Andre Morison – 17.225kg (15)
3. Team Not Again – Juan du Toit and James Abramia – 16.2kg (15)
4. Team Bass World MP – Wiehann Raith and Wynand Potgieter – 14.36kg (15)
5. Team Hit & Run – Jan Vermeulen and Pieter Senekal – 14.32kg (15)
6. Team Gel Events – Shaun John and Peet van der Schyff – 14.25kg (14)
7. Bass Fever – Flip Maritz and JP Maritz – 13.91kg (15)
8. Team Nitro Rapala – Marc Auby and Adriaan Zwarts – 13.475kg (15)
9. Team GLT Petroleum – Wayne Louw and Cornel Smit – 13.42kg (14)
10. Team Greens² – Vikesh Parbhoo and Johann Zwarts – 13.35kg (14)