Topped-out, matted grass and dropping water temperatures were the fall backdrop to the Toyota Series Southern Division event held on Lake Seminole. With that, it’s no surprise punching baits and shad imitators were the most common lures seen on the top pros’ front decks throughout the event.
Here is a closer look at lures used by the top-10 pros.
1. The winning one-two combo from winner Keith Poche in the Flint River was a Berkley PowerBait Pit Boss on a 3/8-ounce weight pitched around wood and a 3/8-ounce Humdinger Spinnerbait fished around rock.
2. Mikey Keyso Jr. fished Spring Creek and the lower end of the Flint River by punching grass with a Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver topped with either a 1- or 1 3/4-ounce Hawg Tech tungsten weight. He also mixed in a SPRO Bronzeye Poppin’ Frog on the final day.
3. Bryan New went all in on shad imitators while fishing grass clumps in the Chattahoochee River with an E.R. Lures Alabama rig assembled with 3.8-inch Zoom Z Swims. He also twitched a Megabass Vision 110 jerkbait around grass as well.
5. Dillon McMillan chased schoolers in the morning with a Megabass Vision 110 +1 and then switched to a Gambler Why Not matched with a 1 1/2-ounce Flat Out Tungsten weight to punch grass in the afternoons.
6. Jim Murray Jr. targeted current breaks far up the Flint River with a ½-ounce spinnerbait and a Deps Buzzjet wakebait.