1. Ray Hanselman says he caught a fish with each of the 20 rods he had rigged, but the baits that produced the bulk of his catch were a Top Shelf swimbait, a Bill Norman DD22 deep-diving crankbait in a baby carp-imitating color and a Wahoo Lures Wing Ding. The Wing Ding produced the most keepers, but the swimbait duped Hanselman’s biggest fish.
2. Brian Ankrum staked his tournament on a drop-shot rig comprised of the following: 20-pound-test PowerPro Super Slick 8 Braid main line, 8-pound-test Seaguar fluorocarbon leader, No. 2 Gamakatsu drop-shot hook, Zoom Finesse Worm and 3/8-ounce weight.
3. Denny Brauer put his signature Ardent rods and Ardent Apex reels to work to drag a 3/4-ounce Strike King Denny Brauer Structure Jig with a Strike King Rage Chunk trailer and a Carolina-rigged Strike King Rage Lizard. Green pumpkin was his primary color.
4. Brendan Kennell used an umbrella rig and a drop-shot Roboworm in the Aaron’s magic color with a 3/8-ounce weight to catch suspended fish near the mouths of creeks on the main lake.
5. Russell Cecil fished very slowly in deep water, dragging a Big Bite Baits 8-inch finesse worm on a 1/2-ounce Buckeye Lures Magnum Spot Remover jighead and a Carolina-rigged Big Bite Baits creature or Jerk Minnow. Occasionally he worked in a Buckeye Lures football jig.
6. Wade Hudgens’ go-to bait was a 3/4-ounce Black Angel football jig in the Tar Creek craw color with a NetBait Paca Chunk trailer in the Toledo Bend special color.
7. Stephen Johnston caught a few fish on a Strike King 1.0 square-bill crankbait, but he did most of his damage with a Texas-rigged watermelon seed-colored V&M Chopstick worm.
8. Joe Don Setina caught one keeper on a Strike King 8XD, one on a 7-inch Yamamoto Senko and the rest on an umbrella rig. He changed up the swimbaits on his rig, at times using Reaction Innovations Little Dippers, Reaction Innovations Skinny Dippers and a Keitech swimbait in the electric shad color.
9. Gene J. Eisenmann used a technique known as “scrubbing” in which he slowly reeled a 3-inch shad-colored Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbait on a 1/16-ounce jighead and 8-pound-test line along the bottom in 30 feet of water.
10. Albert Collins went up the Devils River with a 6th Sense Custom Lure Co. jerkbait and an umbrella rig. He mixed and matched swimbaits on the umbrella rig, choosing the 6th Sense Core-X Swimbait, Mr. Twister Magnum SwimSation or Missile Baits Shockwave.