Smallmouths chasing shad and largemouths in a variety of late-summer, early-fall patterns were the stories of the tournament at the final stop of the Costa FLW Series Southwestern Division presented by Frabill at Lake Texoma. Here are the lures that the top 10 used to make the cut.
1. Tournament winner Jeff Reynolds caught his fish by targeting smallmouths feeding up shallow around shad schools with a Heddon One Knocker Spook and then working a Texas-rigged Zoom Trick Worm around brush piles for largemouths.
4. A 1/2-ounce spinnerbait with silver and red willow-leaf blades and a white skirt earned every bite for Alton Wilhoit.
5. Among Kevin Gressett’s fifth-place baits, a Texas-rigged green pumpkin Yamamoto Senko yielded most of his bites. He also fished a Carolina-rigged Berkley PowerBait Power Worm and a Fish Head Spin with a Culprit Incredi Swim Swimbait.
6. Hayden Burkett flipped laydowns with a black/red Berkley PowerBait Chigger Craw on a 3/0 VMC heavy-duty flipping hook with a 1/2-ounce pegged tungsten weight, and he also fished a chartreuse spinnerbait with a silver willow-leaf blade and a gold Colorado blade.
10. Ricci Head caught all of his fish on his homemade bladed jig that he calls the Head Shed Wiggler. He paired this 3/8-ounce bait with a Yamamoto Zako swimbait.